Ethnic Nose Surgery
Dr. Richard Clark is an experienced and skilled plastic surgeon who has performed many incredibly successful nose, body, breast and face surgeries. To schedule your consultation with Dr. Clark, Contact Us or Call Us at (916) 925–3912.Contact Us
With such variety across the world in skin color, eye color, hair, body type, height, and other physical characteristics, it is no surprise that noses can also be quite different. “Ethnic rhinoplasty” is a generic term referring to rhinoplasty for non-white individuals. However, non-white noses can be incredibly diverse. Hispanic noses, Asian noses, and noses from other population groups all have unique characteristics in comparison to each other as well as variety within their groups. As half of Dr. Clark’s rhinoplasty patients are non-white, Dr. Clark is very familiar and comfortable with the differences between noses from all ethnic groups and how to improve their appearance.
Variations in Noses
The elevation of the nasal bridge, the thickness of the skin, the size of the nostrils, and many other aspects will differ widely within and between population groups. The melting pot of America has led to even more uniqueness as more individuals are born with blended nationalities. While there is significant variety between noses, the following characteristics tend to be common in non-white noses:
- Thick skin: The skin in the nasal tip and lower portion of the nose is thicker in most non-white noses.
- Poor tip definition: The tip of the nose is often poorly defined and has weak tip cartilage.
- Regression beneath the columella: There is often a regression at the connection between the upper lip and the columella (the skin between the nostrils). This regression often forms a sharp angle between the nose and upper lip.
- Flat bridge: Asian and Black noses often have a flat, low nasal bridge.
- High bridge: Middle Eastern noses often have a high nasal bridge.
- Wide nostrils: Black noses often have wide nostrils.
Ethnic Rhinoplasty Techniques That Enhance the Nose
Here are some of the solutions that Dr. Clark uses to correct the aforementioned nasal features:
- Thick skin and poor tip definition: Dr. Clark can use a cartilage graft support to add definition to the tip of the nose. This also narrows the tip and adds tension underneath the thick skin to help the nose keep its new shape.
- Regression beneath the columella: Dr. Clark can use cartilage, a bone graft (typically from a safe bone bank), or an implant to augment the angle between the nose and upper lip.
- Flat bridge: Dr. Clark can elevate and narrow the nasal bridge by inserting an implant, cartilage, or bone graft onto the nasal bridge.
- High bridge: Dr. Clark can lower the high hump of a high nasal bridge. If necessary, he can also augment the tip or other areas of the nose to bring it into better balance.
- Wide nostrils: Dr. Clark can carefully reduce the width of the nostrils while maintaining a nicely rounded appearance where the nostrils join the cheeks. This technique usually requires an incision along the crease where the nostrils and cheeks meet. The resulting scar blends almost invisibly into the crease, and patients usually feel that it is a small price to pay for the improvements in nostril size.
In many of these cases, enhancing the “ethnic nose” means building up weak aspects of the nose with various augmentation techniques. While this may seem counterintuitive, augmenting the weak aspects of the nose tends to minimize its appearance because the nose becomes more refined, narrow, and elegant in appearance.
Enhancing Your Ethnic Nose
Just like every nose is unique, every individual will have unique preferences regarding the correction of their nose shape and appearance. While Dr. Clark may offer recommendations based on widely accepted and classic international beauty standards, ultimately it is up to the patient to indicate what issues he or she would like corrected. Dr. Clark will work with you to understand how you would like to improve your nose and determine the best way to enhance its appearance.
Dr. Richard Clark is a skilled rhinoplasty surgeon and has broad experience working with all types of noses. Enhance your ethnic nose by scheduling your rhinoplasty consultation with Dr. Clark today. To book your appointment with Dr. Clark now, email our office or call (916) 925–3912.